April 1, 2010

Cancer Sucks

I think I've noticed this "cancer sucks" campaign somewhere before - on a bumper sticker or t-shirt maybe. Haven't you? I like the statement and concept. It's bold and brutally honest. Most of all, it's true. It's another reason why I've signed up to spend the next six and a half months raising a lot of money and training my heart, body and mind how to endure 60 miles of walking. It isn't easy fighting for a cure, but I can't just sit back and hope for it. I've got to do something!


Cancer sucks and chances are, one of these days, it's unfairly going to take away someone I love way too soon. You know, I haven't shared this with many people, but I think another reason I feel so strongly about fighting for a cure is that skin cancer runs in my family and I recently had two spots removed that came back with early stages of melanoma. GRR! I'm actually going back to the dermatologist tomorrow for a follow up. They have to dig out more of the area to get rid of all the bad cells and then stitch me up - twice! It'll probably be a little uncomfortable for a few days (and post-pone my training for a week or so), BUT at least it was detected early enough.

At 27, it really shakes you up when you hear you have cancer. It's one of those things you think won't happen to you until your older. Boy was I wrong. This nasty little thing called cancer is real and happens to anyone - of any age, gender or color - despite how "healthy" you may think you are.

The Susan G. Komen 3-day is for breast cancer, I know (I sometimes get a little off track when I get fired up). Thankfully, I haven't lost anyone to this type of cancer, but with a track record of 1 and 8 women in the U.S. being diagnosed with breast cancer, too many of us are all too familiar. It's time to change that and my hope is that if we find a cure for one type of cancer... it can help to find cures for others too!

No comments:

Post a Comment