August 10, 2010

I'm Alive and Walking...Still

Hi friends! It's been awhile, I know. Where has the summer gone? I've been busy training, I know that much. Here's a little recap of what's been going on in my 3-day world....


I completed my first 10-mile walk with Mom in early July. It was tough, but we stuck it out. We even got the chance to "practice" using porta potties (above). We walked five miles in one direction down the C&O Canal path, stopped to split a hamburger and a Gatorade from the local "pub," which we enjoyed outside on the picnic tables (below) before making the trek back to our car.


The trail got a little boring because it was the same-old, same-old, but we kept ourselves entertained (for example, by taking silly pictures).


A week or two later, I got a surprise package in the mail. It was from my Dad who had made Mom and me shirts to wear on the walk (below). How wonderful! The package even had a letter of support from my Grandma! I've already been putting my bubblegum pink shirts to use training.

It says "60 miles to go" and is for us to wear on Day One!

A week or two after that, my brother and his girlfriend came up to visit. Us ladies walked six miles on Saturday and  the guys joined us for another six miles on Sunday! It felt really good to have so many supporters walking with me just because. 

This past Saturday, I joined an official Susan G. Komen training walk for a 13-mile adventure. Oh man, my feet were tired. Good news though, no blisters yet. Then on Sunday, my husband joined me for a six-mile walk to the local dairy farm and back. Stopping half way for ice cream sure makes the walk a tad more fun! Just saying.

And yesterday, I went out to get another pair of sneakers to start breaking in. I hear you want two pair for the 3-day and now is the time to start breaking in number two. I opted for a different brand and a half size bigger. I hope this will make my feet happier!

Needless to say, I've been a busy bee in my walking shoes and fanny pack! I laugh when Mom tells me she feels like Forrest Gump sometimes (but walking, not running). I can relate though. I've had a pretty good bit of quality time with trails and pavement this summer. But, we put one foot in front of the other, for hours on end, when neighbors are sleeping in on the weekend or relaxing after a day of work, all in hopes for a cure!

I promise not to disapear for so long again. With only two months to go, I'm sure I'll have many more stories to share about my experience and questions for you 3-day pros!

No comments:

Post a Comment