May 3, 2010

Back In Action

Yesterday, in honor of May being Mental Health Awareness month, the hubs and I participated in the Greater Philadelphia NAMI Walk. NAMI is the National Alliance on Mental Illness - a non-profit organization dedicated to improving the lives of individuals and families affected by mental illness.

On our deck re-hydrating after the walk.
Don't you love how my guy is showing off his flyers cup?!

This fundraising event helps to fight the stigma that surrounds mental illness and build awareness about improving our country's mental health system. Mental illness is just like any other disease - cancer, diabetes, heart disease, etc. - but many don't view it that way. I'm glad we were able to step up and support this cause.

It was the first weekend since my April 2 surgery that I did some serious walking. Well, I have to be clear when I say "serious" on my 3-day blog. I maybe totaled 3 miles for the weekend, but since I'm still in the healing stages, that's pretty serious for me at the moment. Getting back in my walking shoes feels like home - so comfy and familiar. It's good to be back.

So, we're officially 24 weeks away from the big event in Philadelphia!! I'm $1,890 away from reaching my fundraising goal and have 580 miles of training ahead of me. I thrilled about the challenge. Bring it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment